(download this CV as a .doc file here)
The University of Sydney
School of Economics
Room 370, Merewether Building (H04)
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia
- Professor of Economics, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Visiting Associate Professor and John L. Weinberg Visiting Professor, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, 2012-2013.
- Associate Professor of Economics, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, 2012-2013.
- Associate Professor of Economics, University of Chicago, Booth School of Business, 2005-2012.
- Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Chicago, Booth School of Business, 2001-2005.
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2003-present.
- Resident Scholar, International Monetary Fund, 2004-2005.
- Instructor in International Economics, MIT, 2001.
- Senior Research Graduate, Reserve Bank of Australia, 1994-1997.
- Assistant Manager, Risk Management, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, 1994.
- Visiting Associate Professor of Economics, Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business, 2010.
- Ph.D. in Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001.
- Bachelor of Law (Honors), University of Sydney, 1994.
- Bachelor of Economics (University Medal), University of Sydney, 1992.
- “Factor Proportions and the Structure of Commodity Trade”, American Economic Review, Vol. 94(1), March 2004, pp.67-97.
- “NAFTA’s and CUSFTA’s Impact on International Trade”, Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 89(3), July 2007, pp.416-435.
- Capital Taxes, Trade Costs and the Irish Miracle, Journal of the European Economic Association, Vol. 5(2-3), April-May 2007.
- “Will the Doha Round Lead to Preference Erosion” (with Mary Amiti), IMF Staff Papers, Vol. 54(2), June 2007, pp.338-384.
- “The Lags of Monetary Policy” (with David Gruen and Naveen Chandra), Economic Record, Vol. 75(230), September 1999, pp.280-94.
- “Identifying the Relationship Between Trade and Exchange Rate Volatility” (with Christian Broda), forthcoming in Takatoshi Ito and Andrew K. Rose (eds.), “Commodity Prices and Markets” East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 20., University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- “The Value of Foreign Ownership”, Economics and Business Review, Volume 13, No.1-2, 2011, pp.107-118.
Working Papers Submitted to Journals
- “Trade and the Global Recession” (with Jonathan Eaton, Sam Kortum and Brent Neiman) – Revise and Resubmit, American Economic Review
- “International Prices and Endogenous Quality” (with Robert Feenstra) – Revise and Resubmit, Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Other Working Papers
- “The Welfare Implications of Rising Price Dispersion”
- “Market Access, Openness and Growth”
External Research Grants
- National Science Foundation Award Number 1061880
Project Title: Collaborative Proposal: The Next Generation of the Penn World Table
(With Robert Feenstra)
- National Science Foundation Award Number 0648769
Project Title: Collaborative Proposal: Integrating Expenditure and Production Estimates in International Comparisons
(With Alan Heston, Robert Inklar, Marcel Timmer and Robert Feenstra).
- International Economics, MIT, Spring 2001
- International Trade, Princeton, Fall 2012
- Topics in Macroeconomics, Sydney University, 2013 (4th-year Honours course)
- International Business, University of Chicago (Booth School of Business), Winter 2002 – Spring 2012
- International Macroeconomics, Princeton (Woodrow Wilson School), Fall 2012
Other Academic Activities
- Referee for Econometrica, Review of Economic Studies, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Political Economy, European Economic Review, American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economics and Statistics, American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, Economic Journal, Journal of Development Economics, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Regional Science and Urban Economics Review.
- Editorial Board of “Forum for Research on Empirical International Trade” (F.R.E.I.T.)
- Editorial Board Economics and Business Review
- Organized Empirical Investigations of International Trade Conference October 15-15, 2010
- Daron Acemoglu, MIT
- Rudiger Dornbusch
- Jaume Ventura, Pompeu Fabra